Friday, September 19, 2008

Seen and Heard Around My House This Week



“Zoe is bad, she needs to go to church. Grandma, send Zoe to church, she’s being really bad” – Caden on Zoe doing something that he didn’t approve of. I should mention that we are not religious people and I have no idea where this idea came from, I’m not even sure he knows what a church is.

***

“Shotgun!!!!” – Zoe while running to the car after watching Garfield... and screaming it randomly ever since... nothing says white trash parent like 2 year old screaming shotgun at people.

***

“Caden, sit still and listen... don’t you want to find out if Ramona catches Davie and kisses him?” – me reading Ramona the Pest and trying to get Cade to pay attention.

“Yeah... maybe she’ll kiss him and they can have sex!” – Caden’s answer.

“Ummm, hmmm, what??? Where did you hear that from?” – me at a loss for words, not ready for this conversation.

“Dawson” – Caden revealing his informant (Dawson is the oh so wise 8 year old across the street)

“Do you know what sex is?” – me, not wanting to hear the answer.

“Yeah, it’s when people kiss” – Cades answer.

“Well, not quite, it’s something Mom’s and Dad’s do, but we can talk about it later... go brush your teeth. And, Cade, it’s not something to talk about at school or with your friends” – me avoiding “the talk”.

***

“Mommy!!!! My tummy hurts!!! I think I have to shit!!!!” – Zoe before pooping in the actual toilet for the second time.

***

Ahh, yes, lest I forget this one, Cade telling his new kindergarten teacher that he has a pole in his living room and his mom dances on it.... Awesome!

***

We had the Terry Fox run this week at school and it was the first time Cade learned about cancer and his first real exposure to prostetic limbs...

"We saw a movie at school about some guy with a really skinny leg, he was fast, but he died. It was cancer. He shouldn't have smoked." - Caden

"He didn't smoke, he had another kind of cancer. He was running across the country to raise money to find a cancer cure. He was a cool guy, and his leg wasnt skinny, it was a fake leg... pretty cool, huh?" - me

"Whoa, he was a robot, thats why he could run so fast, cool!" - Caden

"How did his leg stay on? Glue?" - Caden

"No, tape." - Zoe

"Duck tape, Dad says duck tape is good for everything." - Caden

At this point I chose to turn the music up really loud and hope the conversation didn't come up at school the next day.

2 comments:

tif said...

it makes me smile to know that my kids aren't alone in saying stuff like that. awesome post. :)

Anonymous said...

is that a pic of you? adorable!

telling the teacher about the pole in the living room is hysterical...can't wait to hear about the looks you get at conferences.